[SWLUG] Anything one can do if one's (non-political, non-scary) website is banned in China?

Chris King swlug at csking.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 12:01:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, February 15, 2011 11:29, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that my web site is banned in China. I can't think why---it
> just has info about my books & programming stuff. The nearest it gets to
> political is complaining about software patents & Dell.
>
> I tried emailing the Chinese embassy but got no reply.
>
> Has anyone got any (polite;-) suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

Mark

www.qtrac.eu is on shared hosting:

$ nslookup www.qtrac.eu
Server:         208.67.220.220
Address:        208.67.220.220#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.qtrac.eu    canonical name = homepages.plus.net.
Name:   homepages.plus.net
Address: 212.159.9.91
Name:   homepages.plus.net
Address: 212.159.8.91

It's possible that someone else using Plusnet's Homepages servers has
published something that the Chinese authorities objected to on those
particular IP addresses. In other words, it's unlikely to be anything
personal - you're just sharing a web host with someone else they don't
like :-(

According to the rather nifty little search tool at

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/

there are over 2300 domains/subdomains with web sites on those two IP
addresses. There will be more, but they won't necessarily be visible to
search engines so the tool can't find them.

The adult-content check (which highlights some domains in red) is a bit
hit-and-miss, so don't rely on it to be accurate.

Chris

--
Chris King
http://www.csking.co.uk/