[SWLUG] Mail from File and /var/mail/

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Feb 16 09:39:28 UTC 2011

On Wed Feb 16 09:30:38 2011, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> 1. There is a file in my home dir that is a relic from a period of
> time
> where mutt was putting copies of sent mail into a file called
> '~/sent'
> This is therefore just a file, not a directory, with what seems to
> be
> mail, back to back in it. I use a maildir format and was wondering
> how I
> could extract the mail from this file and put it into the correct
> maildir place. i.e. ~/Maildir/.Sent Items/cur/

It'll be in mbox format, probably. Does it have separator lines
beginning "From "?

The easiest way to move the messages would be to use a proper MUA
which understands both formats.

> 2. I keep getting a message saying I havemail in /var/mail/jonr
> How do I retrieve that?

That, too, will be an mbox format file.

You can read it with the good old, venerable, "mail" command, or
almost any other UNIX classic MUA.

Or:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=mbox+maildir+converter

Seemed to have promising responses.

(I use neither mbox nor maildir, so I have no clue if these are any
use).

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/