[SWLUG] Mail from File and /var/mail/

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 09:42:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 09:30 +0000, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have 2 mail questions...
>

> 1. There is a file in my home dir that is a relic from a period of time
> where mutt was putting copies of sent mail into a file called '~/sent'
> This is therefore just a file, not a directory, with what seems to be
> mail, back to back in it. I use a maildir format and was wondering how I
> could extract the mail from this file and put it into the correct
> maildir place. i.e. ~/Maildir/.Sent Items/cur/

thats the older standard 'mbox' format.

theres loads of scripts around to do the conversion for you, it can
probably also be done using the 'formail' program.

> 2. I keep getting a message saying I havemail in /var/mail/jonr
> How do I retrieve that?

i would assume thats your mbox format inbox, you must have something
screwy thats delivering some of your mail in mbox format and some in
maildir.