[SWLUG] Anything one can do if one's (non-political, non-scary) website is banned in China?

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Thu Feb 17 09:06:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 00:17:36 -0000 (GMT)
"Chris King" <swlug at csking.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, February 16, 2011 12:47, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:00:24 +0000
> > Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >

> >> Would it be worth checking with them first if they can reach
> >> another page on the server that you propose to migrate to?
> >> That would save you a migration only to find it still doesn't
> >> work...
> >
> > Yes, but I want to move anyway since my ISP doesn't provide logs so
> > I have no idea what traffic I get---something I will get if I move.
>
> Mark
>
> Apologies for the delay in getting back to this thread - I've been
> sorting out my study, rebuilding machines etc - but I did find
> another interesting little tool which might help:
>
> http://www.websitepulse.com/help/testtools.china-test.html
>
> This returns a timeout for http://www.qtrac.eu/ but came back clean
> for http://www.csking.co.uk/ (hosted at Mythic Beasts on shared web
> hosting).
>
> Try this out with a page hosted on your friend's server and see what
> result you get back - test against Beijing and Munich, they seem to
> return results faster than the other sites.
>
> Chris

Thanks Chris, well it gave an OK for my friend's server. But I can't
check my own site right now 'cos I'm managed to mess up the DNS:-(

Anyway, I'm all set to move once I sort out the DNS problem.

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy