[SWLUG] What's your linux knowledge like?

Dick Porter dick at acm.org
Tue Jan 11 12:24:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 08:18 +0000, Chris Jackson wrote:
> On 10 January 2011 23:02, Sam Radion <sam at samradion.co.uk> wrote:
> > Ok, I'll admit it, I got 7 - I don't think that's a pass :)
>
> I got 16, though I'm not sure whether that's necessarily a good thing.

16 for me too, didn't know the SLES one, the windows one (I don't care
about either crappy distro :) ), the top one and I'd never heard of
comm(1).

The log file one surely depends on the process writing the log file -
properly written daemons will close their log file when given a SIGHUP.
Similarly with the rm -rf /* one - my shell (zsh) will give a helpful
warning message.  And if I want a sequence from a shell script, I get
bash to do it:

[dick at hagbard ~]$ echo {1..10}
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- Dick