[SWLUG] SMTP Problems

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Jan 28 10:52:51 UTC 2011

On Fri Jan 28 09:36:04 2011, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> During the set up of the account on the client, when entering SMTP
> details, I am not 100% sure what I should be entering based on how
> I set
> my system up. I set my system up using this guide >
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts-p5

Those instructions are going to tie in your system passwords to your
SMTP submission service. That may not be what you want, since you're
forced into sending unencrypted passwords - albeit under TLS, but
unless you have a certificate (or CA) known to the clients, you're
still potentially handing your password to the wrong server.

While having a common username and password for both system and
services seems quite tempting, it's best done by setting up a proper
SSO system (like Kerberos), or using a common authentication database
backend (like LDAP). I don't recommend either for small sites
(unless, like me, you happen to have an X.500 server with an LDAP
front-end lying about).

> Jan 28 09:29:56 jcrdevelopments postfix/smtpd[14285]: warning: SASL
> authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such
> file
> or directory
> Jan 28 09:29:56 jcrdevelopments postfix/smtpd[14285]: warning:
> unknown[109.181.126.59]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: generic
> failure

saslauthd isn't running, or isn't listening on the UNIX domain socket
that the library is running on.

saslauthd's job is to do the root bits required to verify the
plaintext password you told it.

# service saslauthd start

... might be all you need.

Dave.