[SWLUG] digital radio & ogg audio player...

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Sat Jan 29 20:55:11 UTC 2011

On 29/01/11 19:58, Justin Mitchell wrote:
>>> like
>>>
>>> a bit???
>>>

>> Like I said, only looked into it a bit, so don't claim to know much.  Is it
>> really that bad then?  Please expand.
>

> For starters it uses Mpeg 1 - Layer 2  (aka mp2) audio, which gives
> worse quality per bitrate than mp3 does.
<snip>

> Ofcom are considering introducing this on MW in the uk in 2012, there
> have been various test transmission running for years (eg BBC World
> Service), but you cant seem to buy a receiver in this country yet.

Thanks for all the explanations guys.  Good to know a bit more about it.

Mark,

One thing I did notice was that there were a fair few radios which do
DAB/Internet Radio and FLAC.  I know it's a massive pain, but FLAC seems
better supported than OGG is.  So there might be milage in buying a
device that does FLAC/DAB/Internet Radio and changing your OGGs to FLAC.

Cheers,

Matt