[SWLUG] Meeting Locations

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Mon Jul 11 17:18:52 UTC 2011

On 08/07/11 17:26, P.G. Richardson wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm just wondering if it's worth starting a list somewhere that gives
<snip>
>> Good Idea/Bad Idea?

Good idea.  Well it's on the right track.  We hold meetings too often
currently.  We also only do them in Cardiff (barely) and Carmarthen. The
Swansea meeting is already dead.  The Cardiff one doesn't have a pulse
and Carmarthen isn't doing great either.  Folk have commented that going
to a pub to talk IT related stuff for an evening isn't all that
interesting.  Which is fair enough.  To throw some ideas out there as to
what we could do to improve things:

Quarterly meetings, or every other month.  Certainly worth trying to
bring back Swansea on a say Quarterly basis.

Meetings in different places (only one meeting per month, per place), eg
we start in say Newport, then Cardiff, Bridgend, Swansea, Carmarthen
etc.  So that way the LUG meetings in your local area are much less
often, so instead of saying, like many of us do, 'I'll go to the next
one', they're only in Cardiff/Swansea/Carmarthen every 3/4 months.
Makes it more of an event.  Might mean people make the effort?

Combine talks with the social side of things.  Talks in the afternoon
and then a social in a pub/restaurant.

Different, non-pub locations for the social stuff.  Coffee shops?  Curry
house?

If the meeting schedule is arranged in advance, for more 'worthwhile'
events, then we can try and get some publicity going.

But this all requires someone to organise things.  I've already said I'm
not interested.  It's worth pointing out to anyone thinking that it'll
be too much work, that it isn't.  Once you get started lots of people
offer to help so you don't actually do that much.  I certainly got lots
of help when I organised a few talks a couple of years ago.  If you're
interested in organising stuff, I'd be happy to help/give some pointers.

Cheers,

Matt