[SWLUG] Meeting Locations

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Tue Jul 12 10:21:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 18:18 +0100, Matthew Moore wrote:
> On 08/07/11 17:26, P.G. Richardson wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm just wondering if it's worth starting a list somewhere that gives
> <snip>
> >> Good Idea/Bad Idea?
> >>

> Good idea.  Well it's on the right track.  We hold meetings too often
> currently.  We also only do them in Cardiff (barely) and Carmarthen. The
> Swansea meeting is already dead.  The Cardiff one doesn't have a pulse
> and Carmarthen isn't doing great either.  Folk have commented that going
> to a pub to talk IT related stuff for an evening isn't all that
> interesting.  Which is fair enough.  To throw some ideas out there as to
> what we could do to improve things:
>
> Quarterly meetings, or every other month.  Certainly worth trying to
> bring back Swansea on a say Quarterly basis.

I had been contemplating this also, that perhaps attendance would be
better if we shifted to quarterly, and interleaved them. so there was at
most one meeting a month.

> Different, non-pub locations for the social stuff.  Coffee shops?  Curry
> house?

I did happen to notice the other day a sign in the swansea Sainsburys
offering their cafe space for local org / groups in the evenings, i will
investigate that further as an option.