[SWLUG] Renaming a device in Ubuntu

Jonathan Wright jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 16:45:37 UTC 2011

 On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 14:11:59 +0000, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> $ df -h
> dev/sdb1             230G   49G  181G  22% /media/2010_BLACK_
>
> $ e2label /dev/sdb1
> 2010_BLACK
>
> It used to be called /media/2010_BLACK but there was an accident and
> ever since Ubuntu now uses this new name with the underscore at the
> end.
>
> Is is possible to force Ubuntu to use the original name again?

 What's

   ls -ld /media/*

 The mount points under /media are normally automatically created and
 destroyed, but if it still exists (for example after a crash or forced
 power cycle) then it will will need to rename it (and the first rename
 is to add _ to the end).

 If /media/2010_BLACK exists when there is no drive plugged in, run

   sudo rmdir /media/2010_BLACK

 to get rid of it.

--
 Jonathan Wright

  e: jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
  w: http://netwrker.co.uk/
  t: @netwrker

  cat /dev/random
   » you never know, you may see something you like!

  (sent from the web...)
 --
 This e-mail has been sent to a select person or group of individuals.
 If you have received this, you can generally imply that it was meant for

 The sender is not responsible for anything in this e-mail or for it's
 delivery or (non) receipt. The Internet is a wonderful place where time
 and space seam to get lost and distorted. If you received a reply before
 you sent the e-mail, don't worry. It probably means we're in a different
 time-zone to you. Adjust your computer's clock to compensate.

 We also exclude any liability for any damage (or similar) that results
 from this e-mail. However, if you do end up making a few quid I am happy
 to receive a share of the profits - Postal Orders happily accepted.

 Finally, any comments and/or opinions that happen to be expressed in
 the mess of text above are those of my keyboard - I may sit and tell it
 what to write but ultimately it must bear responsibility for it's
 actions.

 Thank you for taking the time to read our e-mail and I hope you will
 reply to it soon!