[SWLUG] SSH tunelling

Chris Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Fri May 13 14:58:07 UTC 2011

On 13 May 2011 15:35, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2011, Dave Cridland wrote:
>
>> Yes, of course. If you don't know the license to copyrighted
>> material, you shouldn't be copying it.
>
> You wouldn't be copying it in the strictest sense (it isn't stored on your
> computer), any more than wathcing broadcast TV is "copying".  You're
> simply using a service.

You still need permission to use this service, and the T+C spell out
the manner in which you are permitted to use it.  The difference being
that copyright is not strictly involved, so there is no prospect of
fines or prison.

> By contrast, an end user licence works by restricting your rights, so
> there is no implicit "you must have agreed to this licence otherwise you
> wouldn't be allowed to do what you are doing".

There is, because AIUI nothing other than said licence would grant you
the right to do whatever you are doing.  If someone gives me a bit of
software and suggests that I don't ask questions, then I don't have
the right to use the software, because only the licence gives me that
right and I don't have one.

> The iPlayer T&Cs is essentially an end user licence, so isn't really
> comparable to the GPL (which is a distribution licence).  The BBC requires
> a licence from the copyright holder in order to broadcast the copyrighted
> material, but the viewer requires no such licence to view that material.

[citation needed]

> Compare to broadcast radio - the broadcaster has negotiated a broadcast
> (distribution) licence with the rights holder and the viewer needs no
> licence to listen to that content.

There was previously a separate radio licence.  The discount blind
people get on the TV licence originates from those days, when they
were entitled to watch TV while only having a radio licence.

--
Chris Jackson