[SWLUG] Scam phone calls

Dick Bain dick.bain at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:54:21 UTC 2012

On 25 April 2012 11:02, James Edgeworth <diagmato at black0ps.com> wrote:

> On 25/04/2012 01:28, Neil Jones wrote:
> > This one will amuse you, I hope.
> > I as at my parents' place recently. My father has a windows machine
> > which I help him with occasionally. He has a phone extension next to it.
> > I was sitting there actually preparing to run a virus scan on the
> > machine when the phone rang. I didn't answer of course as it would be
> > for my parents who were downstairs.
> >
> > A matter of seconds later my mother shouts up to me "Pick up the phone".
> > This wouldn't be that unusual. Someone from the family , a friend
> > perhaps? But no it wasn't. It was someone with an Indian accent spouting
> > technobabble about malware.
> > Of course I immediately knew what it was. Some scammer trying to get
> > access to my father's computer. I took over the conversation. I asked a
> > few questions, which he actually had difficulty answering,  He wanted me
> > to alter the Windows registry. At which point I confronted him. saying
> > loudly. that I was an expert on computers and knew what he was doing and
> > that he was a nasty, cheating scammer.

> There have been loads of these calls to my parents. They claim they work
> for "Windows" and that our computer has loads of errors being reported
> from the action centre in Windows 7.
>
> My parents haven't fallen for it, but a friend did. Also a family member
> (who also thinks that the "send error report to Microsoft" button means
> that Microsoft themselves will personally inspect your computer.) They
> asked them to go to logmein.com where they show the action centre, and
> bring up a screen showing loads of false errors. They also install a
> "tool" which does a "detailed check" (installs goodness knows what crap)
> which causes real problems, and then ask for £230 annual subscription to
> fix it.
>
> What was really annoying though, was trying to tell both those people
> that they were scammed. "But there WERE errors in the log they showed!"
> although if they looked closely, it was Windows complaining about
> "trivial" things, like "You have not set up a back up", or "Windows is
> set to allow automatic updates" (why that's reported in action centre I
> don't know...). In all, they didn't like the idea of being stupid enough
> to fall for a scam, and also finding out they just wasted £230 on a
> scam. I can't even say that they probably learned a lesson from that
> mistake...
>
> They would start with "Good evening, I am calling from Windows - we have
> reports that your computer is badly infected and needs urgent attention,
> otherwise your computer is going to crash and need expensive repairs.
> You will lose your data if you do not take action NOW."
>
> So, someone who doesn't have the first clue would be scared into
> thinking Microsoft are actively trying to support a customer in need...
> the panic of potentially "losing all data", where the average Joe's data
> backup routine goes as far as a "really should but never get round to it".

> [...]

hehe I have just spent an hour on the phone with just such a scammer, he
ask me to go to logmein.com ammyy.com and support4windows.com when none of
the software would load I sounded as worried as possible and said I was
really worried about my computers. He said that they could fix them for a
one off fee of £86.72 and would have to pay by card; I explained that I
didn't have any cards because the bank had taken them away so he suggested
I went to westernunion.co.uk to pay but I told him I didn't know my account
details as my mummy did all that. I was then passed to a lady who spoke
better English but I said I wanted to speak to the nice man and she passed
me on to another man who also spoke very good English and when I was unable
to install the software they have offered to come to my house and collect
the money; he read out my address and said someone would be in the village
within the hour and I could pay him. I'm waiting with bated breath for
developments.

Oh an I did tell them the computer was running Ubuntu spelled out uncle
baby uncle naughty teacher uncle but they still carried on!

I'll let you know how things go

Dick
--
free/libre/open, software for the people by the people
www.swlug.org  is a good place to go ;-)