[SWLUG] Openstreetmap, relicensing and remapping

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Feb 9 10:04:31 UTC 2012

On 08/02/12 21:17, Philip Barnes wrote:

> If the terms are not accepted on April 1st any ways added by a
> contributor who has not accepted will be deleted, or if they have merely
> edited a way created by someone else it will return to its earlier
> state.

I've been aware of this for some time, although not looked into the
discussions in depth.  I'm somewhat confused as to how they are doing
all this:

OSM have always held that using another map in any way (e.g. referring
to copyrighted OS maps or Google Earth for hints) is not allowed as the
resulting OSM data would be considered a derived work.  By extension, a
lot of the ODbL licensed OSM data will have been created by referring or
modifying existing CC-BY-SA licensed OSM data, so why do they not
consider it a derived work (and therefore not relicensable)?

Also, has anyone figured out what proportion of the data will be lost as
a result?

--

  - Steve