[SWLUG] Moving to Cardiff

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Wed May 16 08:45:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, 15 May 2012 13:24:16 +0100, Gerald Davies
<gerald.davies at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>Specifically, are there any recommendations concerning ISPs?

> I'm sure others have recommendations - I'm with Zen, but hear that
> Andrews & Arnold are good (?).
>
> http://www.zen.co.uk
> http://aaisp.net.uk

I use AAISP and I'm very happy with them.  They're a bit more expensive
than other companies, but you do get an excellent control panel, incredibly
detailed line statistics and great customer service.  For example on the
control panel, you can set your line MTU, set interleaving, change your
rDNS etc etc.  Support is also available via phone, email, SMS, IRC and
usenet.  Like Zen they're slightly more business focused than other ISPs,
but they have a pretty large consumer customer base these days.  You do pay
for your usage depending on the time of day, it's not unlimited.

Plenty of ISPs in the UK advertise 'unlimited' connections, but they're
always governed by a fair use policy, which sets a limit.  Worth watching
out for.

Other people recommend Plusnet.  Yes, I know they're now owned by BT
Group, but they're still a separate company, who buy their lines from
Openreach the same as everyone else.

Once you know where you're going to be living, then www.samknows.com can
tell you what's available at your exchange.

Looking forward to seeing you at the LUG.

Cheers,

Matt