[SWLUG] Beware Bluetooth keyboards

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Nov 12 10:19:01 UTC 2012

As I recall, Samsung phones are particularly crap at supporting bluetooth
keyboards.

Also note that there are two different bluetooth keyboard protocols; HID
and serial. Older devices (such as Nokias) only support serial; newer
devices (iPhone, Android) only support HID.

Finally, HID, like its USB cousin, can support multiple HID concepts on one
device (so mouse+keyboard), whereas serial cannot - but many phones will
only see one function. (I've not seen this be anything but the keyboard,
mind).

But anyway... My son's Samsung won't do anything with my cheapo keyboard;
whereas I think I've had it running on my Motorola Pro+, though it has a
hardware keyboard. Both are Gingerbread or so. His Nexus 7 works fine with
it, but (I think) only handles the keyboard side.

I do have a posher HID-only keyboard, but I lent that to a friend and
haven't tried it. I've also a bluetooth mouse I've not played with in a
while (which worked with my now-dead N8, and should be quite useful on my
TF101).