[SWLUG] Free as in freedom

Rhys Jones rhys at highfiddletea.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 14:15:15 UTC 2013

I've been purely pragmatic in my distinction between open source and free
software so far (basically, to me, it's just been the difference between
clicking the box in Ubuntu that says 'allow MP3s to be played' or not). But
I'm looking for a new laptop at the moment (separate post, maybe) and I'm
very keen for all the hardware to have properly open-source drivers for the
Linux (or is it GNU/Linux?) side of things, mostly again for pragmatic
reasons - the day I never have to open a 'restricted drivers' dialog box,
or type sudo modprobe into a terminal window, will be a very happy one for
me.

And it's interesting, in any case, how the politics of free software is
bleeding over into the mainstream. You've all seen this photo of Stallman
and Assange, I assume? Very 1960s revolutionary:
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/355634896632414208

Rhys