[SWLUG] Secure Boot

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 17:13:35 UTC 2013

On 18/03/2013 16:26, Dave Cridland wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2013 15:35, "Peter Bradley" <p.bradley at dsl.pipex.com
> <mailto:p.bradley at dsl.pipex.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've recently been having an email correspondence about secure boot
> (and more generally on the bundling of Windows on PCs) with Julie
> Morgan MP, who happens to be my representative (i.e. nothing to do
> with party affiliation or anything like that).  She's been quite
> helpful and has contacted the OFT for me and sent me scans of their reply.
> >
> > I'm not sure I want to pursue this for much longer, as I don't want
> to appear to her like a lone geek with a chip on his shoulder -
> whether or not that is true.  However, if anyone else was interested
> in chipping in in some way (perhaps with their own representative(s)),
> and if Julie Morgan agreed, I'd be happy to make the email chain and
> OFT response available.  The correspondence is in Welsh, but I'd be
> happy to translate.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing the correspondence and the translation,
> certainly, though it's a subject I know very little about.

I'd be interested in knowing more and seeing the documents. No need to
translate for me either.
I have heard a bit about this and this link offers some clarification.
http://www.zdnet.com/torvalds-clarifies-linuxs-windows-8-secure-boot-position-7000011918/

It looks like with as Torvalds puts it "Key signing authorities that
trust anyone with credit card" . that it is an old variation
of a big security loophole that I call "The Identity Delusion". This is
the delusion that proof of identity exists. If you stop and think of it
of course it cannot. You can only really be sure of the identity of
people who you have known since childhood any other system fails.
It is the same here with secure keys. They are only as secure as the
people who create them.

Neil