[SWLUG] Distinguished Lecture in Computer Science - 17 April 2013- Professor Bjarne Stroustrup

Carter N. N.Carter at swansea.ac.uk
Tue Mar 26 07:31:59 UTC 2013

This is a public lecture that might be of interest to members...

Neil

College of Science

Swansea Distinguished Lectures in Computer Science

C++11: The future is here

Professor Bjarne Stroustrup

Texas A&M University

6:00pm, Wednesday 17th April 2013

Faraday Lecture Theatre, Swansea University

Refreshments from 5:30pm

Registration: http://tinyurl.com/StroustrupCPlusPlus

Supported by: Software Alliance Wales * BCS South Wales * HPC Wales

"C++11 allows you to write better code faster. By 'better' I mean
maintainable code with fewer errors than was possible in C++98. C++11
allows you to write less code for a given problem and have it run
faster.  By 'faster' I mean getting real-world code to run as fast as or
faster than hand-tuned C, as fast as or faster than code written in any
modern language I know of, sometimes much faster. This can be done
today, using currently shipping compilers.

"But most people are stuck in a 1970s or 1980s mindset, can we catch up
to C++11? Worse, many people are stuck in a mess of 'legacy code'
creating a framework of constraints that discourage the use of 21st
century facilities.

"My aim in this talk is not to enumerate the C++11 features or to go
into great technical detail on a select feature. My aim is to show how
the best practices for C++ design and programming are better supported
by C++11 than by earlier versions. To do that, I discuss small code
examples. I expect to use the concurrency library, standard containers,
and chrono. I expect to use initializer lists, move semantics, variadic
templates, lambda expressions, and type aliases. As usual, RAII
(Resource Acquisition Is Initialization) will feature large."

Speaker's Biography:

Bjarne Stroustrup designed and implemented C++. Over the last decades,
C++ has become the most widely used language supporting object-oriented
programming by making abstraction techniques affordable and manageable
for mainstream projects. Using C++ as his tool, Stroustrup has pioneered
the use of object-oriented and generic programming techniques in
application areas where efficiency is a premium; examples include
general systems programming, switching, simulation, graphics,
user-interfaces, embedded systems, and scientific computation.

His book "The C++ Programming Language" is the most widely read book of
its kind, and has been translated into at least 19 languages. A later
book, "The Design and Evolution of C++", broke new ground in the
description of the way a programming language was shaped by ideas,
ideals, problems, and practical constraints. His recent programming
textbook, "Programming - Principles and Practice using C++", has already
been translated into 7 languages. He took an active role in the creation
of the ANSI/ISO standard for C++, and continues to work on the
maintenance and revision of that standard.

Bjarne Stroustrup  is an ACM fellow and an IEEE fellow, and was elected
member of The National Academy of Engineering in 2004. He was the first
computer scientist to be awarded the 2005 William Procter Prize for
Scientific Achievement from Sigma Xi. His other awards include the 1993
ACM Grace Murray Hopper award, the IEEE Computer Society's 2004 Computer
Entrepreneur Award, and the 2008 Dr Dobb's Excellence in Programming
award.

Registration:

This continues a series of lectures at Swansea University by
distinguished computer scientists. The event is free and open to all.
Refreshments will be served before the lecture.

* To register for attending the lecture, please complete the form at
http://tinyurl.com/StroustrupCPlusPlus

For further information, contact Professor Peter Mosses, coordinator of
the Swansea Distinguished Lectures in Computer Science (
P.D.Mosses at swansea.ac.uk). Details of all the lectures are available
online at www.swansea.ac.uk/compsci/distinguishedlectures

Welsh version will follow shortly.  Apologies.