[SWLUG] remote assistance software

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Wed May 8 03:07:57 UTC 2013

hi,

i'm looking for a way to provide remote assistance/control to family and
friends who are not necessarily very confident with computers.  i will be using
a linux machine and they will be using windows machines, i'd like them to be
able to make the request for assistance without having to know anything about
networking and preferably without having to install anything.

i run a server at home and can allow people to download files by sending them a
link so they can just download an exe if necessary, run it and if i'm online i
get the request and i can help them. i can also install a server daemon and do
port forwarding to it if that is needed.

try as i might most if my family and friends just do not get instant messaging
as such (though they all use facebook - which ironically, i don't) so they'd
have no way (except phoning me) to know if i was available, ideally my server
would be listening for assistance requests and pass them on to my desktop
machine if i was logged on.

i've been reading up on vnc, freerdp etc. and if i had ownership of all
machines involved this would be a no-brainer, it's the issue of someone else
needing to initiate a request for assistance that is the problem here, i
cannot find any suggestion that windows users can use the built in remote
assistance mechanism to request help from other than another windows machine.

if anyone has any suggestions or advice then i'd be most grateful

bascule
--
"lay down your arms, we just want you to relax and enjoy your shoes."