[SWLUG] SSD dual boot

Marcus Davage marcus.davage at gmail.com
Wed May 22 09:53:42 UTC 2013

Hi gurus,

I think I may have hosed my 1TB dual-boot hard disk at home whilst trying out the very attractive RC for Linux Mint 15 (Olivia). Currently running TestDisk to see if I can rebuild the MBR, if not recover my lost data. (But, yes, I'm a geek; yes, I've backed up and, yes, I sync critical data to the cloud. I may have only lost yesterday's sent emails.) Worst case, I'm going to have to re-install and restore from backup. Not really a problem.

I'm considering installing my Oss (Linux Mint+Swap partition and a WinXP or Win7 partition) on an SSD, for faster booting, and keeping my /home on my 1TB HD. I was looking at the Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive (available from Amazon for £75.39).

What SSDs have you use/would you recommend? Do you know of a better deal? Any gotchas installing dual boot on an SSD?

Cheers,
Marcus