[SWLUG] SSD dual boot

phantomjinx p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Wed May 22 12:04:09 UTC 2013

On 05/22/2013 12:50 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Gerald Davies <gerald.davies at gmail.com
> <mailto:gerald.davies at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     One thing that used to be talked about years ago was correctly
>     aligning partitions for an SSD to improve performance.  I'm not sure
>     if distros do this automatically these days.  Also check for firmware
>     updates for each SSD that you use.
>

> I wasn't told anything at all about alignments - I'd note, though, that these days SSDs are pretty
> commonplace - a lot of new systems ship with them as standard - so I'd imagine that much of the
> magic required is also standard these days.
>
> ureadahead, for example, was built around solid state, originally, as I recall, and grew spinny
> support later.
>
> As for firmware updates, that's simply new to me - but makes sense.
>
> Dave

Tuning can be useful so I understand. When I installed my Vertex, I followed some of the tips here [1]

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives

PGR

--
Paul Richardson

  * p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
  * p.g.richardson at redhat.com
  * pgrichardson at linux.com

"I know exactly who reads the papers ...

  * The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country.
  * The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country.
  * The Times is read by people who do actually run the country.
  * The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
  * The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country.
  * The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
  * The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is."

Jim Hacker, Yes Minister