[SWLUG] EasyCap stk1160 chipset

Daniel Morris danielm at iee.org
Tue Oct 8 07:44:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 08:53:42PM +0100, Matthew Moore wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've got about 20 old skateboarding videos that I'd like to save.  So
> I got an EasyCap off ebay in the hope that it wouldn't be too hard to
> get working.  In the name of getting it working quickly, I thought I'd
> give my windows partition a whirl.  That has been a wonderful failure
> (the Windows partition won't boot now!) so I'm wondering if anyone has
> an EasyCap that works ok on Linux.  Apparently the ones with stk1160
> chips work well (http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Easycap).
>
> Mine is a utv007 which seems rather scant supportwise.

Not to get your hopes up, but I have a similar device, which I call the
dongle of death. The instant it is plugged in to my laptop the machine
powers off with an eery 'pop'. Booting with it in is fine, but it does
something bad when hotswap'd in, without leaving a trace in any log that
I could find. I couldn't get it working either under Linux as it had the
wrong chipset. ISTR spending some time looking for a purchasable device
with compatibility, but it was a minefield.

 Daniel