[SWLUG] swlug site

Mark Einon mark.einon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 09:33:34 UTC 2013

On 8 October 2013 10:03, Justin Mitchell <justin at discordia.org.uk> wrote:
> I think keeping static pages in a repository is a really dumb idea,
> working with raw html all the time is just asking for a big mess further
> down the road.
>
> I felt the offered single static page was a little bit too minimalist,
> there wasn't any visual clues on how you could ever expand it to more
> than one page without having to start again from scratch

The page I suggested isn't meant to be changed, and starting from
scratch isn't a big issue - it only took me 20 mins to put together.
The 'big mess' that we're in right now with a large site full of old
and dated content is what I intended to avoid. With the present levels
of time being spent on the website, I believe that having a minimalist
site is essential to making it usable.

Also, the page is setup to be viewed easily on mobile devices - which
in my experience most CMSs are quite bad at.

I don't really understand the comment about static pages in a
repository...perhaps you could expand on that a bit more?

> I was planning to use the stylings of the offered page, but adapt it to
> a more expandable layout, and use it as the theme for a pmwiki, but i
> just haven't had the time to do that yet as i have been busy with the
> local hackspace.

I guess this is a similar thing for most people, it certainly is for
me too - lots of great ideas, but not enough time. I don't see this
situation changing any time soon. In the meantime, why not just put up
the one page? It doesn't rule out changing it when something else
becomes available, and IMHO is an improvement on the current site,
which isn't really inviting to new members - which, if my thinking is
correct, is one of the major requirements for our website.

Cheers,

Mark