[SWLUG] swlug site

Mark Einon mark.einon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 12:37:36 UTC 2013

On 23 October 2013 13:24,  <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
> On 23.10.13 13:01, Mark Einon wrote:
>
>> As for the simplistic nature of the site I proposed (also in response
>> to steve at nexusuk.org) - again, there's absolutely no need to re-invent
>> the wheel when it comes to content like blogs and member profiles -
>> Links to swlug groups on facebook, G+, twitter and the like give us
>> that without the faff, and with the bonus that SWLUG happenings will
>> have a much wider audience than if the content were posted solely on
>> swlug.org.
>
> If the attitude is that we should have zero content on the website and
> rely on third party services (which not everyone will have access to),
> such as facebook, I would ask: WTF are we bothering to run a website *at
> all*?

A good point, and also IMHO a website isn't exactly necessary - but a
single static page with no datable information on doesn't need any
bother to maintain.
I'm not on facebook myself, but my experience of G+ is that it's just
as accessible as a self-hosted page would be. There's no restrictions
on viewing, as far as I can tell.

> You cite dated date stamps on existing content as being a problem.  I
> cite having no content at all as being a much bigger problem.
>
> I'll agree that a lot of people won't want to keep blogs on the SWLUG
> site itself, but this is what content syndication systems like RSS and
> Atom are for - there's nothing stopping people publishing a blog on
> whatever service they like and having the SWLUG site aggregate all of
> the blogs into one place.
>
> Stuff like having the dates of the next meets on the website is (IMHO)
> important.  Also, if I were an outsider I would hesitate to get involved
> in a technical group who aren't technical enough to bother running a
> website.

A lack of volunteers to create and maintain such a technical site was
the impetus to this discussion in the first place IIRC. Unless the
volunteer time is available, a discussion on content would be entirely
academic. I made my initial webpage proposition (and stuck my hand up
to implement and maintain it), with the goal of making it as
lazy-proof as possible.

Cheers,

Mark