[SWLUG] swlug site

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Thu Oct 24 07:33:20 UTC 2013

Firstly, I'd like to say to Justin, that we're not aiming to get at you
here.  I personally appreciate the effort and money you've put in to
running the website over the years.

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:25:03 +0100, steve at nexusuk.org wrote:

> To my mind, a single static page is essentially going to tell newcomers
> "SWLUG exists, but we're all too clueless to even run a simple website
> so don't waste your time with them"...

Well Unified.diff (unifieddiff.co.uk) has one page which is basically a
link to meetup.com and to a bunch of videos on youtube/vimeo.  They have
popular meetups which often get 20-30 people turning up.  Compared to us,
when it's an amazingly good month if we have 9 people.  We still have
months where no one turns up, or 1 or 2 people turn up.

> (And no, I'm not volunteering to do a load of work on this - I don't
> have time, all I'm saying is that I think the proposed solution is a
> massive step backwards from what we already have, so I don't see any
> merit in it.)

This is the problem.  I'm sorry if this comes across as being harsh, but
that's not the intention.  We need people to do stuff not to send emails to
the mailing list suggesting who we could do things or what we could do.
Pretty much everyone who's posted to this thread over the last month or so
is a sysadmin, programmer, web dev, we all know what to do, we could all do
something perfectly reasonable in a couple of hours if we all pulled our
thumbs out.

At the moment, we need some action to be taken, the current site is out of
date, often down and frequently filled with spam.

I'm happy to block out a couple of hours in my diary in the new year to
improve the design.  But for now Justin wants to offload the domains and a
simple way to move forwards has been suggested by Mark (who apart from
Justin, is the only person to actually do something) and we can get that up
and then once we've got the website on github pages and the mailing list on
lug.org.uk it's possible to move forwards.

Cheers,

Matt