[SWLUG] Fwd: Celebrate GNU's big "three-o"

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Sep 23 10:46:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-23 at 09:01 +0100, Gerald Davies wrote:
> On 22 September 2013 21:43, Matthew Moore <matt at matthewmoore.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > A new website was designed and setup by Vladimir, but it was never put
> > live.  No idea why.
>
> Absolutely.  The current site has almost always looked out of date to
> me - something about people with technical skills lacking what people
> with design skills bring to the table, IMHO.  And yes, I know that
> it's a technical group, etc, but still!

Yup, my design skills suck and i know it, but weve not had any artistic
volunteers.

> Apologies for occasionally moaning about it - sorry! ;)  It's usually
> only when the subject of the site is brought up by other people.
>
> >  We could do with a new website, we only need a few
> > pages at most.  All the stuff (wiki etc) on the current site is pretty
> > pointless, IMHO.
>
> I hadn't thought of this until you mentioned this.  Yes, I completely
> agree.  It could do with some static pages instead of a CMS!  Hardly
> anything ever happens and it would be much easier to maintain.

If someone wants to have a go and design something then i will setup a
subdomain and give you an account to do it in, just ask me.

I suspect a simple wiki engine, eg pmwiki would make it easier for
members to contribute to the content, but then that so rarely happens
either.

I dont know really what happened to the site that vlado was working on,
it seemed to be close to being useable, then one day i found big chunks
of it had been disabled, and nothing more happened.

>   Why
> not have another subdomain or something for an aggregate of swlug
> member blogs, such as a planet.swlug.org, etc?  Not sure if this ever
> happened.

That already exists and has done for many many years, been years since
anyone asked me to add/delete from it though. I even ran a blogging
engine on another subdomain for anyone that wanted it, last post there
is 2006.

I suspect that to see any real life in the group you would need some
enthusiastic person with time on their hands to come along and start
making things happen, but thats not me, sorry.