[SWLUG] Fwd: Celebrate GNU's big "three-o"

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Sep 23 13:53:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-23 at 13:58 +0100, Peredur wrote:
> El 23/09/13 11:46, Justin Mitchell escribió:
>
> > Yup, my design skills suck and i know it, but weve not had any
> > artistic volunteers.
>
> As do mine and I suspect most of those of us here.  So why don't we
> just get a WP site with a theme we can live with?  Bigger sites than
> ours do just that.  Choosing the theme should not be too hard.
>
> Again, I'm prepared to put some effort where my mouth is, in terms of
> setting the site up, making any minor mods required to the theme and
> doing the site configuration.  I've installed and managed dozens of
> (usually slightly modified) WP sites, at least for their initial
> period.

I am unsure that the blog-like style of new articles, upon which
wordpress is designed, really suits our needs. the utter lack of new
postings over the years suggests that we arent going to be generating
news items with any kind of regularity to really fit with that kind of
style.

I think it better to admit that we are much more a static pages kind of
setup, and whilst i hear that WP can be bludgeoned into that task, would
it not be better to start with something based on that philosophy, such
as a wiki, from the offset ?