[Swlug] DNS - do A & AAAA conflict with CNAME?

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Fri Aug 8 15:13:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 15:36:10 +0100
Matt Willsher <matt at monki.org.uk> wrote:
> A CNAME on the zone apex (e.g. mydomain.com IN CNAME www.mydomain.com)
> can and will break things horribly, especially email, for the reasons
> Justin outlines.
>
> Regarding CNAMEs pointing to CNAMEs, RFC1304 says the chain should be
> honored.
>
> If you're offered A and AAAA records you're going to be better off using
> those - the provider won't change those addresses and you can use them at
> the zone apex.

OK, you, Justin, et al. have persuaded me. I've deleted the two google
CNAME entries for www.qtrac.eu and will hope that the A and AAAA ones
work --- I guess it'll be a while before I find out.

I can't do that for digitalcardbox.com because Google only gave me the
two CNAME entries.

FWIW gandi itself puts in CNAME entries for blog, imap, pop, smtp, and
webmail (and for web redirect if one uses that).

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    Python and PyQt/PySide - training and consultancy