[Swlug] TomTom Start 60 / MyDriveConnect and Linux.

Julian Hall linux at kaotic.co.uk
Thu Jan 23 00:33:03 UTC 2014

On 22/01/14 19:37, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 00:20 +0000, Tony Pursell wrote:
>> Hi Julian
>>

>> Consider reporting this on the Wine website (http://www.winehq.org/)
>> AppDB and bugzilla.
>>

>> It might get looked at by Wine developers.
>>
> I have a Go 720, which I have had for quite a few years now. I use
> Tomtom Home to update it in an XP VM. Windows 7 doesn't detect it.
>
> Tomtom Home 1 did used to work with wine, but when Tomtom Home 2
> appeared, they had done something nasty that prevented it working under
> wine. I must admit I had never heard of MyDriveConnect until I read
> this.
>
> Its all very frustrating, most of the updates I want are to update the
> cameras. This used to possible using the mobile connection, after
> nagging about that being expensive, but that has been removed in later
> software so you are forced to use a computer. Its only a few 10s of megs
> at a time, not really an issue unless I am roaming.
>
> Phil

Same here Phil.. I have an old TomTom One v3 which is no longer being
updated. I know this because I went to Lincolnshire in September and
checked the day before and the software said my device was up to date.
I hadn't updated it for a couple of years so I took that with a crate of
salt - proven to be correct when I ended up driving on a dual
carriageway the SatNav knew nothing about.  With /that/ one you could
just download the files and copy them onto the SD card, so the OS didn't
particularly matter.  The newer ones have no removable SD card so the
device itself has to be recognised by the OS via USB, and that's the
point where it all goes belly up. Windows 7 of course recognises it
because MyDriveConnect tells it what the device is, without it you're
knackered.

Julian