[Swlug] Root Password

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:27:37 UTC 2016

On 13 February 2016 at 09:07, Sharon <dillyg23 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help.  I have completely forgotten my 'root' password.  I can get
> into linux mint and use my computer I just can't update anything.  I would
> prefer not to have to reinstall if there is a way round this.  I would
> probably be classed as a Newbie as I use it as an operating system to do
> what I need.  I am not into the nitty gritty as it were.

Do you really mean the root password?  By default there is no root
password (it is generally considered a security risk to enable root).
Unless Mint is different of course.  This is an Ubuntu list of course,
not Mint.

Whether it is the root password or just your administrator user's that
you have lost then this should help (again assuming Mint is like
Ubuntu in this respect).
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword

If not then possibly a Mint list would be the place to ask.

Colin