[Swlug] Automounting problem

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat May 28 12:32:35 UTC 2016

On 28 May 2016 at 12:49, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Thanks for sharing your expertise!
>
> It mostly worked like a charm;-)
>
> On Sat, 28 May 2016 11:44:29 +0100
> Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> Ah, you did not tell us that.  As Huw suggests this means that the
>> user ids on the two machines do not match.  On the machine with the
>> andreas user that user probably has the uid 1000 and the mark user has
>> the uid 1001.  You can check that by running
>> id -u mark
>> id -u andreas
>>
>> You want to have the uid for mark as 1000.  I suggest first changing
>> the uid of andreas to 1002 (to free up 1000).  Logon as mark then
>> sudo usermod -u 1002 andreas
>> sudo groupmod -u -1002 andreas
>
> I had to use -g rather than -u

Yes, my mistake, too much careless copy/pasting.

>> sudo find / -gid 1001 -exec sudo chgrp -h 1000 {} +
>
> In the end I did chown -R mark.mark /home/mark 'cos I got an error about
> too many arguments for chgrp.

Don't know about that one.  If you only did it on the home directory
then any files not in the home directory will not have been corrected,
if there are any.  If the chgrp error was due to too many matching
files then you may find the sudo find command will work ok now (as
most of the files will have been corrected already, so will not be
found).

> Anyway, mark is user and group 1000 and the memory sticks now work as
> wanted.
>
> Thank you:-D

Glad to be of help

Colin