[Swlug] UEFI

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 15:03:46 UTC 2016

> On 23 Nov 2016, at 11:24, Sam Braithwaite via Swlug <swlug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Apologies if this has been asked before, but what are the advantages & disadvantages of booting Ubuntu (UbuntuGNOME 16.04.1 LTS) in UEFI mode, if it is the only OS installed?

Hi Sam,

Pro:
GPT partition tables natively (for bigger disks/most partitions)
Fancy boot menus
Maybe faster boot
Boot loader is just on DOS partition (mounted as /boot or /boot/EFI iirc)

Con:
Less familiar and some learning curve.
Some devices may not support EFI during boot (e.g. disk controllers)
Some may not be supported/stable with EFI even after boot (seen it with graphics cards)

EFI seems stable with Linux in my experience and is the future. If it's a modern machine that uses EFI for Windows it will work fine and you may bit less problems than using the old BIOS stuff.

I tend to go with the default the installer & system uses with optimised defaults.