[Swlug] Next generation access broadband consultation opens

Daniel Morris danielm at iee.org
Thu Jun 15 14:58:50 UTC 2017

I thought a few folks (particularly if living out in the sticks) might
be interested in the consultation that has just opened, responses are
due by 13 July 2017:-

https://consultations.gov.wales/sites/default/files/consultation_doc_files/170613-next-gen-access-broadband-en.pdf

Most interesting is the map linked in Appendix B (pg21)

http://lle.gov.wales/map/ngaomr2017

By adding Layers on the left-hand side it is finally possible to get a
glimpse of where the current round of government subsidy might reach by
the end of the year. Its a lot more detailed than the superfarce.cymru
"Can I get it" page, which is still in "beta" despite the Minister's
protestations reported here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-38773942
https://beta.gov.wales/go-superfast/can-i-get-it

For me, at home, it has counted down to "order within 1 month" - just
like it did in early December 2016 (reset to four months on Christmas
Eve). There's also no sign of local pole mounted manifolds and when I
checked (two weeks ago) there had been no contact with the landowner who
owns the field between the last of the manifolds and our cluster of
houses - it either needs 300m of new ducting or access to search for
existing. And to add insult to injury, subcontractors working 2km
further down the road, packed up on Sunday morning, whilst tight-lipped
they were clearly irate that they'd turned up for the third time to find
there's still a segment missing, needed to link from the town up to the
cluster below us.

 Daniel