[Westwales] BSOD Screensaver

mark ILLSLEY mark at mpinet.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 22:28:32 BST 2004

As far as I know this is the easiest way of getting xscreensaver to work
with kde:

(Taken from xscreensaver man1#10)

USING KDE (K DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT)

I understand that KDE has invented their own wrapper around
xscreensaver, that is inferior to xscreensaver-demo (1) in any number of
ways. I've never actually seen it, but I'm told that this is the way you
disable it:

1: Switch off KDE's screen saver.

 Open the ``Control Center'' and select the ``Look and Feel /
Screensaver'' page. Turn off the ``Enable Screensaver'' checkbox.

2: Find your Autostart directory.

 Open the ``Look and Feel / Desktop / Paths'' page, and see what your
``Autostart'' directory is set to: it will probably be
~/.kde3/Autostart/ or something similar.

3: Make xscreensaver be an Autostart program.

 Create a file in your autostart directory called xscreensaver.desktop
that contains the following five lines:

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=xscreensaver
Name=XScreensaver
Type=Application
X-KDE-StartupNotify=false

Now use xscreensaver normally, controlling it via the usual
xscreensaver-demo (1) and xscreensaver-command (1) mechanisms.

Hope this helps

Mark

---

---