[Wiltshire] Has anybody had laptops that refuse to speak to any SATA hard disk?

Simon Iremonger wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Wed Aug 6 15:24:43 UTC 2008

> Hi Simon,
> I Hope there is an experienced DV 2000 user out there. I note the BIOS
> allows for booting from removable devices, so it seems likely (to me)
> that you can boot from the card slot. I would expect you to be able to
> do that with such a new (2006) computer.
> Greg

No -- It does not boot from a SDHC card, but the card DOES work in
   ubuntu booted from CD....

I can boot from a USB memory key with a partition table MBR code
   etc. though... That works fine!

So...  does anybody reccomend any USB flash memory drives which are
   good capacity and performance? ;-).
I could just put a flash-drive in the SATA bay and wire a USB socket
   to an existing port.....

Has anybody tried Installing a Linux-based-system on flash anyway?
   Either using jffs2 or suchlike filesystems, or using a livecd
   image with a union-filesystem arrangement?

--Simon