[Wiltshire] Mythtv and DVB-C with NTL / Virgin / UK Cable

Andrew Meredith andrew at anvil.org
Fri Feb 22 18:11:05 GMT 2008

Robert Longbottom wrote:
> Ok, following on from the brilliant success of my previous question, here
> is another!

Getting the channels on cable is part one of the problem, part two is
getting a feed of program data. You can use the mythfilldatabase tool
with the usual add-ons, but there might be a better way.

Can you get Freeview? This has a built in EPG stream, includes a
shedload more than the usual terrestrial channels and is of superb
quality .. where available. If nothing else you can miss out the
Freeview channels from the cable channels, or Sky or whatever other grey
channels you might be pulling in. You get one of those at a time,
whereas you can do 2 or more Freeview ones for no additional license fees.

A card to do this, some with 2 channels, can be bought for around the
same price as the cable card. It's dead easy to set up and from my
experience (*) freeview is very stable reliable and clean.

If you want a hand setting this up, I can help.

Andy M

(*) 3 years, 6 channels, two servers & 4 frontends, one @HDMI 1080i

          Andrew Meredith BEng CEng CITP MBCS MIET
                          Director
                    http://www.anvil.org
                 The Anvil Organisation Ltd.
          andrew at anvil.org      +44 (0) 1249 460560
     Open Source Systems Mentoring for Small Businesses