[Wiltshire] Mythtv and DVB-C with NTL / Virgin / UK Cable

John Larkworthy john_larkworthy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 12:01:40 GMT 2008

Hi,

It is worth remembering that Swindon Cable was one of
the first in the country because Swindon sits between
3 TV transmitters and gets a poor signal from all of
them.
Swindon Cable was started by putting a decent High
Gain aerial on a local high spot and using the good
signal to provide an Analogue cable signal to
subscribing homes. It was partially owned by the GPO
then BT. BT were forced to divest themselves of TV
content provision and sold it off. It ultimately
became part of Virgin Media Group.
I live in Old Town and have used Freeview successfully
but when NTL offered a good deal on Cable, Broadband
and Telephone we dropped it. We needed a booster
amplifier and it was still a bit hit and miss. I think
we were receiving signals from Oxford transmitter but
I am not sure. I do however remember receiving Channel
4 and 5 OK. When we were deciding if we should invest
in a Freeview box we I looked at several sites and it
seemed unclear what would be available: One said no
Freeview, One said some channels ultimately it came
down to try it and find out.

John.