[Wiltshire] Mythtv and DVB-C with NTL / Virgin / UK Cable

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Mon Feb 25 13:50:15 GMT 2008

I think it has been mentioned on this list before, but the calculators
on the Wolfbane site look useful for amateur aerial installers who are
not in postcodes officially served by Freeview, and don't have signal
strength meters.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

If it doesn't work for you, you can at least see why from the pretty
terrain diagrams it draws (I can see why a low hill between me and the
Mendip transmitter in Wells 22 miles away means I can get analogue
downstairs with a portable antenna, but only get freeview on the roof.
 I am glad the previous residents had a professional aerial installer
in.)

As I recall, there was also a prediction of the coverage you might get
after the digital switchover, but the Wolfbane one seems to be 'in
preparation' at the moment.  (Apparently I will no longer need to
focus in on highly attenuated distant signals.)

John wrote:

> Swindon sits between
>  3 TV transmitters and gets a poor signal from all of
>  them.

Makes you wonder why Swindon wasn't on the top of the list for the
digital switchover.

Robert wrote:

>  > Swindon seems to be last on the list for
>  > most things.

Oh!  That's why :(

--
David Corking, Project Manager