[Wiltshire] ASDL problems with Nildram, Toucan and Tiscali

Adrian wiltslug at just-contact.me.uk
Wed Jun 4 20:15:20 BST 2008

Hi All

Slightly off topic, but I am experiencing real download problems and I
wonder if anyone else has. I live near Devizes and father-in-law has
experienced same issues on Toucan (run through Tiscali). He lives 2
miles from me.

I have noticed for over a week now that my broadband speeds were slow to
non-existent. I tried all sorts of software and hardware and line tests
but to no avail. Then I switched my ubuntu repositories to find the
fastest server and since that change my downloads have been much quicker
averaging solid 230Kbps (I have s 2Mb link and this is the general speed
I am used to) However other downloads, from the States or London are as
slow as treacle and tend to time out. A download states that it is
around 20-40 kbps, but this is intermittent and the remaining download
time can say 3 hours for at least 24!

I use Nildram, which has been bought by Tiscali in the last year.

My upload speed, I think is not a problem, it always seems constant.

I used http://www.speedtest.net/ and found that to Maidenhead and
Sittingbourne  by download potential was always around 1.6 Mbps and
upload around 250 Kbps. But whenever I try London or any other server in
the world (probably because it comes through London) I get a hell of a
wait and sometimes the script does not even finish. The download pakets
would appear to get blocked somewhere.

Any suggestions? Could it be a fault on my machine?

I am running Ubuntu, but the downloading problem is the same on a
Windows XP machine. So it is either my Router or ISP. I have made sure
and reloaded the firmware on the router with no effect.

Its been 18 hours without a reply from Nildram. The had reset my
connection from their end but this had no effect.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian