[Wiltshire] ASDL problems with Nildram, Toucan and Tiscali

Andrew Meredith andrew at anvil.org
Wed Jun 4 20:31:20 BST 2008

Adrian wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Slightly off topic, but I am experiencing real download problems and I
> wonder if anyone else has. I live near Devizes and father-in-law has
> experienced same issues on Toucan (run through Tiscali). He lives 2
> miles from me.

You might want to try running a tool called "mtr". It is a relative of
traceroute but presents the info in a nicer way. It sends out packets to
each router up the line in turn and shows you how long the round trip
took. Although it doesn't measure bandwidth, it does reveal congestion,
which is quite often the cause of bandwidth restrictions. Just run it
with the target address as the only argument. If you see a big jump in
round trip times somewhere beyond your immediate neighbourhood you will
know where the problem lies.

Hope this helps

Andy M

PS If you don't have/can't get/don't want mtr, then traceroute will
    do just as well and works in much the same way.