[Wiltshire] Difference in broadband speeds around the UK

Richard Price richardprice at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 18:46:39 BST 2008

2008/6/5 David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net>:

> There was an item on the news this morning saying that providers are going
> begin stating what speed they actually expect a line to provide and charge
> accordingly, rather than the ridiculous "up to" that we currently have.

They are also bound to quote an accurate figure whether you sign up online,
over the phone or in a shop - that means there is going to have to be
regular surveys of every single phone line in the UK, which means your
broadband costs are going to have to increase appropriately.

Personally I think the complaint is ludicrous - no ISP I have ever dealt
with has ever suggested you would get 8Mbit, but 'up to' with 8Mbit being
the limitation of the technology (ADSL1).  If this doesn't suffice, why were
ISPs not in hot water back when 56k dialup was all the rage?  Exactly the
same issue then - 56k service was sold, with 'up to' as the proviso, because
56k was the absolute limit of the technology while in actuality you would
never get anything more than 48k or there abouts.

</rant>

Richard