[Wiltshire] Meeting places

Simon Fryer fryers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 13:03:40 BST 2008

G'Day,

On 10/06/2008, Simon Iremonger <wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk> wrote:
[chomp]

> I agree about problems with inclusion though -- need to consider
>  time (earlier?) for other more inclusive meetings earlier
>  in whatever day(s).  I'd be interested to know how you get on
>  with meetings in other places ;-).

The UK evening events seem to be based around pubs as they are
generally open in the evening and serve refreshments. When there is a
suitable cafe or other venue that is open late on a Monday night in
Swindon we may think about moving - again.

I have been going to the Wilts LUG meetings since October 2002. It has
always been at 9pm on a Monday night. The only thing that has changed
has been the venue, and from the 1st Monday of the month to the 2nd
Monday of the month. This has worked well for me, even now when I
don't live in Wiltshire.

I have regularly attended the Bath and Bristol LUG meeting - which
meet in a Pub on a Saturday afternoon. This would have the same sort
of eletims policy - over 18s only.

My now local LUG - Gloucestershire LUG seems to hold meetings at a
local business and includes presentations. They occasionally have
socials which, start by meeting in a pub. I have other committments
when the Gloucestershire LUG holds its meetings so I have never been
to one of the meetings.

The trend seems to be that LUG groups meet in pubs - probably because
it is convenient. If there is an under 18 on the list who would like
to meet up with people, they need to speak up and say that they would
like to come to a meeting - can we think about the logistics of
organising something.

Anyway... Rant over for today.

Simon