[Wiltshire] Meeting places

Andrew Meredith andrew at anvil.org
Fri Jun 13 21:01:47 BST 2008

Hi Max,

psykx.out wrote:
> [misinformed chat snipped]

As one of the authors of said "Misinformed Chat" I will respond.

> Having worked in and managed a bar

Likewise .. and still do from time to time. I am a member of a club with
it's own clubhouse and bar, which I work as and when.

> I have to say that any bar tender who
> serves anybody underage is liable to a fine as is the license holder who
> is liable up to £10,000 (or possibly more, to avoid sensationalism I'm
> using the lower remembered amount). The bar can also be asked to close
> temporally for up to three days for permanently if it is a repeat
> offense.

.. and this is relevant for an establishment that serves underaged
people. I have never met Skippy, but am told that he in no way looks
under age. I could cite some marvellously massive fines and prison
sentences that apply if someone were to bring in a live bomb, but this
is equally irrelevant.

> It's not new legislation, you should just carry ID.

The legislation affects the bar tender and licensee not the customer.

There is no legal requirement to carry ID. The Home Office (and it would
seem yourself) would love this not to be the case, but for the moment it
still is. If a copper asks for your name and address he must take your
answer at face value, he cannot demand ID. He can ask for some form of
ID, but he cannot require it. If I go into a pub or offy and am asked to
prove my identity I would first laugh and thank them for the compliment.
If they insist I would say that I have none. If they STILL insist I
would simply walk out and go next door .. exactly as was done in this case.

> I'll go back to lurking now

Uhuh.

So was the misinformation the fact that license trade is taking a bath
(4 pubs a day closing), the fact that the bar was more or less empty
before the WLUG crowd came in, or the fact that Skippy doesn't look
under age. Inquiring minds etc.

Andy M