[Wiltshire] Linux meeting in Swindon

Simon Fryer fryers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 11:38:26 BST 2008

G'Day,

On 24/06/2008, dick <rjd at green38.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks Greg, How do you make a 'home directory'?

Okay. As much as I hate to say it, the question you have asked and the
question you are meaning to ask are different. Home directories are
made automatically with account creation - so you probably already
have a home directory.

The next step is to make sure that your home directory is on a
seperate partition. Greg, in his email above provides a simple
overview provinding you are happy with the concept of mount points,
partitions, file systems etc. This I feel is going to be the difficult
part. An adequate explanation requires a far bit of work and IMHO, is
better provided in person and on a sheet of paper rather than via
email.

Unfortunatly, the abstraction that M$ has inflicted on people is
making it more difficult to get the basic computing concepts across to
people...

I am happy to have a discussion over partitioning, mount points,
filesystems, boot sequences etc over a pint (or 1/2 pint in my case as
I drive) at the next meeting.

Simon