[Wiltshire] Linux meeting in Swindon

Andrew Meredith andrew at anvil.org
Tue Jun 24 15:46:28 BST 2008

Simon Fryer wrote:
> The document also provides an entry point to start to think about
> disaster recovery, how this can be easily achieved etc.

These days, on new builds particularly, I tend to use a 3rd (and 4th
etc) disk the same size as the first two, in a USB/Firewire/e-SATA
caddy, and set it up as a "Write Mostly" mirror. This can then be
switched in and out with other disks. You end up with a disk that can be
used to boot a new machine should the old one go up in smoke.

File recovery backups can be done direct to disk onto a vgdata volume,
that is also, of course, part of the data set on the 3 mirrors. Backups
and restores are quicker. DR is quicker. The startlingly low cost of
disks making this a practical proposition.

Andy M

          Andrew Meredith BEng CEng CITP MBCS MIET
                          Director
                    http://www.anvil.org
                 The Anvil Organisation Ltd.
          andrew at anvil.org      +44 (0) 1249 460560
     Open Source Systems Mentoring for Small Businesses