[Wiltshire] Probable noob question

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Tue Mar 11 14:38:48 GMT 2008

Andy wrote:

>  >All l really want to do is to be able to print documents. l've
>  >enabled print sharing on the windows machine and can see MSHOME when
>  >trying to add a printer..

I don't know what MSHOME means.  Here are some ideas to try and report back on.

I have no Windows printer shares on my network, and when I 'Browse'
for a 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' with the Ubuntu printer
configuration tool , I don't see anything.  So it sounds like your
wife's machine is sharing _something_.

If I recall correctly you should check your Windows documentation to
make sure the ports are open in the XP/Vista firewall to allow printer
sharing.

Find out the IP address of the Windows machine.  If you can try to
configure it with a fixed IP address.  Windows Printer Sharing has
been less troublesome to me if I ignore browsing and stick to IP
addresses, for example  smb://192.168.1.3/mylaser

A quick Google didn't uncover docs for using the Ubuntu GUI (if I
recall correctly you are using Ubuntu, Andy).  So if you are still
unstuck, this command line documentation looks promising:

http://excess.org/docs/linux_windows_printing.html
(it might  not do much harm to jump to step 5 - troubleshooting)

Most of the docs are written from the point of view of a Windows
client talking to a Unix server, the reverse of what you are building.
 I used to swear by the Samba diagnosis checklist.  I think this is
the current iteration of that guide:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html

However if you dig into that, or into this book chapter, which also
looks promising, you will definitely get your hands dirty.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch12.html

Good luck!  David