[Wiltshire] Probable noob question

Andy Watts g7mjv at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 11 16:32:11 GMT 2008

Simon Fryer wrote:
> G'Day,
>
> On 11/03/2008, Andy Watts <g7mjv at btinternet.com> wrote:
>

>> l'm trying to get this machine to talk to my wife's win 2k machine. l've
>> enabled printer sharing on her machine and we're connected to the net
>> via the same hard wired router..
>>
>> Could someone point me in the right direction please
>>

> A couple of questions.
>
> 1) What are you trying to achieve by having both computers talk to each other?
> 2) The first step in diagnosing the problem, can the two computers
> ping each other? I don't know your level of experience with Linux so
> if you need help with ping, please let us know.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Simon

Thanks Simon

My knowledge is on the limited side.  Running ipconfig on the windows
machine comes up with an address of 192.168.1.6           l've tried to
ping it from my machine but it doesn't return anything.

My main reason was so that l might be able to print from her machine

Dave Fletcher ( Thanks !) has suggested that it maybe easier to set the
printer up on my machine and try to get the windows box to find the
printer.. We shall see

Andy