[Wiltshire] Probable noob question

John Larkworthy john_larkworthy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 10:05:42 GMT 2008

Hi,

If you want to keep the printer on the Win2k machine it is being shared using SMB. This covers a host of protocols including finding other machines in the network. The machine discovery protocols work when the router is providing DHCP addresses but not recording the host name in a DNS data base.

You should be able to see the win2k machine in the MSHOME workgroup (kinda like a domain in DNS talk).

If you have installed SAMBA client services on your Linux system you should be able to browse the Windows network at the command line with:
'smbclient -L <win2k ip address> -N'
These options are -L list services and host known by this node, -N don't ask for a password.

Once you have established that the win2k machine is properly publishing the availability of the printer you should be able to use the printer setup of you distribution to create a printer queue to 'SMB://win2khost/printer' and set the correct driver to render the text into something the printer understands.

Ubuntu does offer a nice GUI interface for this as well - something like browse network.

I can't be more specific about which tools to use as I don't know the distribution you are using.

John.