[Wiltshire] On the borrow

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Oct 7 17:37:44 UTC 2008

On Monday 06 Oct 2008, Simon Iremonger wrote:
> > I've an acquaintance who has a dead laptop with
> > files on the hard drive that he'd rather like to extract.
> > Does anybody around Swindon have a suitable USB external
> > hard drive enclosure that they'd be willing to lend for
> > a once off recovery job?
>
> If the laptop is newer and the disk is SATA, you just
>    attach it to a desktop directly.
> If the laptop is older and the disk is PATA, its' probably
>    2.5" drive.. I'm sure I had an adapter for that at
>    some point...I do have an enclosure.. but I'd need
>    to find that 3.5" to 2.5" adapter assy !!!
>
> --Simon

It's 4/5 years old.

Actually, my boss today managed to screw up another laptop, by plugging
his "broken" HDD into it to try it on another machine. Now, neither of them
boot! We're suspicious that he's somehow managed to transfer a virus onto the
other machine.

So, he's now thinking of visiting Maplin, who today allegedly had in stock a
suitable looking USB case for these. If purchased I might be able to borrow
it.

Dave