[Wiltshire] August meeting

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Tue Aug 4 16:45:24 UTC 2009

Simon Iremonger wrote:

> Just as nobody else has mentioned this...
>   AAISP  [ http://www.aaisp.net.uk/ http://sod.ms/ ]
>   are a bit unusual in having been running IPv6 to customers for
>   many years....

Full credits to Andrews & Arnold.  I guess you need to avoid SOHO ADSL
modems to get this working without a tunnel.

> It seems that BT's network hasn't always supported this though.
> BT Ipstream is part of the picture thought....
> http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkkFykVVylBkcXwBeu.html
> BT causing trouble as usual!

This is a surprise to me, though this great article says that the BT
21CN folks had a change of heart:
http://www.aaisp.net.uk/news-ipv6-routers.html

Other parts of BT were well-known active supporters of IPv6.
http://www.uk6x.com/ was one of the world's first open IPv6 trials,
but the BT R&D folks have long since moved on to other things.

The address exhaustion countdown is food for thought:
http://penrose.uk6x.com/

This BT-hosted tester still works:
http://www.ipv6.bt.com/test/

But sadly: http://www.bt.com/ipv6
points to a Russian domain parking service at http://www.ipv6.btexact.com/

> Of course if you use (sub-optimal) tunneling it isn't an issue...

With a tunnel, wouldn't you need a firewall on the local tunnel
end-point?  I guess you would need to build / buy a router to support
the tunnel, unless you were willing for one your servers to do
double-duty as a router-firewall.

I see that AAISP throws in a tunnel for its ADSL customers.
Apparently the rest of us can use the free-of-charge SIXXS tunnel that
is provided in the UK by another IPv6-friendly ISP:
http://www.sixxs.net/pops/goscomb/   or the previously mentioned HE
www.tunnelbroker.net.

More IPv6-friendly ISPs here:
http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=native&country=gb

I notice that Bogons is just over the bridge -  in Chepstow!